Monday, October 23, 2006

I was in Anchorage last week for the National Indian Education Association's Annual Conference. The Girl Scouts had a booth in the exhibitor's hall promoting its work with indigenous cultures. About 3,000 people from over 20 states came to the conference to learn about Indian Education, watch cultural performances, and, of course, buy jewelry (I bought some earrings as a birthday present to myself:)
Amy (from Anchorage), my boss Bobbi, me, Jane (from Anchorage)

Above, Yupik students from Bethel, Alaska dance after their school district received the Cultural Freedom award in recognition of their work with Native Language revitalization.

On the flight home, I finally got a view of the elusive Denali (Mt. McKinley).!!! Yep, I took this photo from the plane.

2 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were in Anchorage for that!!! I almost went but ended up getting sidetracked!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

My best flight ever was on a tiny plane from Anchorage to Fairbanks. On a clear day, zooming over Denali, it is amazing! I'm glad you got to see the mountain. :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home