Friday, June 22, 2007


As a thank-you gift for running an errand at IKEA when I was home earlier this month, my co-worker's husband took me up in his plane on a siteseeing trip over Fairbanks. We saw the city, the rivers, and about 8-10 moose hanging out in remote ponds. This trip was definitely a highlight of my time in Alaska.
The longest day of the year just passed, and Fairbanksians go crazy for Solstice. There is a huge downtown fair that runs from noon until midnight with a dunk tank, climbing wall, bands, food, crafts, and a midnight sun baseball game that starts at 10:30pm and is played without artificial lights.
I ran into this "Taste of Chicago, Fairbanks, AK" truck and I had the owner take my photo. He asked where I was from, and I told him that I'm from the north side of Chicago. He said, "Oh, you must be a Cubs fan." I said yes, and he proceeded to tell me that he's a Sox Fan from the south side. He was already holding my camera, so when I found out we were cross-town rivals, I told him not to "accidentally" drop my camera. He took my photo and invited me to visit his restaurant that is decorated in all Chicago paraphernalia.

2 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Did you do the Midnight Sun Run? That is so much fun!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

No running for me - however, I did do some midnight sun dancing.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home